Thursday, April 7, 2011

Injuries; Minor-League Ball

All of these pitchers are injured right now (not counting Brian Wilson, who was just reactivated after a strained oblique). What the hell is going on around the MLB? I'll admit, I felt at most a brief sense of relief when I heard we wouldn't be facing Wainwright this season, but I'm really just disappointed - I'm a fan of great pitching, possibly more than anything else in the game. Throw the freak emergency appendectomies of Holliday and Dunn on top of the pile, and you've got an argument for cosmic retribution against the entire sport. I was excited to read that Strasburg may be back before the end of the season, though - I know he's probably over-hyped, but I still can't wait to see what he can do.

In happier news, today is Opening Day for minor-league ball clubs! I'm planning to pay much closer attention to the Cubs affiliates this year, especially as we've got some veterans on the big club who will probably be heading off for greener pastures before too long. Since there is no Cubs game tonight, I'll probably turn to the minor leagues to get my fix, but I'm having trouble deciding who to follow. Hayden Simpson, last year's first round draft pick and #8 prospect, is starting for the Peoria Chiefs (A) tonight. The Tennessee Smokies (AA), where most of our top prospects hang out, are rife with players that I want to track: Kyle Smit, Trey McNutt, DJ LeMahieu, Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters... They're also playing against the Dodgers' AA affiliate, the Chattanooga Lookouts, which would give me a good trash-talking opportunity with my Hollywood buddy. Then, of course, there's the Iowa Cubs (AAA), who are playing my hometown team's affiliate, the Round Rock Express. Not to mention the Daytona Cubs, where an injured Welington Castillo (whoever nicknamed him "Beef", I love you) is rehabbing.

I've got 99 first-world problems, but a baseball game ain't one. (Or should that be "won"? ::rimshot::)

Mike FonteNotes: Holy crap, did you see Tim Lincecum strike out thirteen over seven innings last night? Between Mikey, the Freak, and the Beard, I'm really growing to love the Giants - or at least these Giants. They cater to my love of scrappy misfits while (mostly) not sucking.

Go Cubs go!

No comments:

Post a Comment